Selected Honors, Awards, and Public Outreach/Service:
Dr. Tittel is a Senior Fellow of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (Quantum Information Science).
Professor Wolfgang Tittel joined the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Calgary in 2006 as an Industrial Research Chair in Quantum Cryptography and Communication. He is also an executive committee member of the University’s Institute for Quantum Science and Technology, and a steering committee member of its Institute for Security, Privacy, and Information Assurance. Dr. Tittel received his MSc from the University of Frankfurt/Germany in 1996, and his PhD from the University of Geneva/Switzerland in 2000. His work was seminal in bringing quantum communication out of the laboratory and into the real world, and was repeatedly selected by the Optical Society of America and the American Physical Society to be one of the year’s greatest achievements. Dr. Tittel authored or co-authored over 75 articles in refereed journals and is cited more than 14,000 times according to scholar.google.com.
Wolfgang Tittel is an experimental physicist with interests in the fundamental and applied aspects related to the use of quantum states for communication purposes. His work covers topics ranging from the predictive power of physical theories to the distribution of secret encryption keys by means of quantum key distribution. Dr. Tittel’s current research focus is on practical quantum key distribution systems, entanglement, quantum memory via light-matter interaction in rare-earth-ion doped crystsals, quantum repeaters, and quantum networks.
- My personal webpage (www.qc2lab.com)
- Institute for Quantum Science and Technology at the University of Calgary (www.iqst.ca)
- C. W. Thiel, N. Sinclair, W. Tittel and R. L. Cone, 2014, Tm3+Y3Ga5O12 materials for spectrally multiplexed quantum memories, Phys. Rev. Lett. 113(16): 160501, 5pp.
- N. Sinclair, E. Saglamyurek, H. Mallahzadeh, J. A. Slater, M. George, R. Ricken, M. Hedges, D. Oblak, C. Simon, W. Sohler and W. Tittel, 2014, Spectral multiplexing for scalable quantum photonics using an atomic frequency comb quantum memory and feed-forward control, Phys. Rev. Lett.113(5): 053603, 5 pp.
- Rubenok, J.A. Slater, P. Chan, I. Lucio-Martinez, W. Tittel, 2013, Real-world two-photon interference and proof-of-principle quantum key distribution immune to detector attacks, Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 130501, 5 pp.
- E. Saglamyurek, N. Sinclair, J. Jin, J. A. Slater, D. Oblak, F. Bussières, M. George, R. Ricken, W. Sohler, W. Tittel, 2011, Broadband waveguide quantum memory for entangled photons, Nature469, 512-515.
- Marcikic, H. de Riedmatten, W. Tittel, H. Zbinden, N. Gisin, 2003, Long-distance teleportation of qubits at telecommunication wavelength, Nature421, 509-513.
- W. Tittel, J. Brendel, H. Zbinden, N. Gisin, 2000, Quantum cryptography using entangled photons in energy-time Bell states, Phys. Rev. Lett. 84 (20), 4737-4740.
- W. Tittel, J. Brendel, H. Zbinden, N. Gisin, 1998, Violation of Bell inequalities by photons more than 10 km apart, Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 3563-3566.