V. Hugo Schmidt, Ph.D
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering 1951 Washington State University
- Ph.D. Physics 1961 University of Washington
Professor Schmidt studies static and dynamic phenomena, including photovoltaic effects, in ferroelectric and piezoelectric crystals, polymers, and ceramics. He also builds solid oxide fuel cells and investigates performance of these cells and properties of their component materials.
Solid state research areas currently include dielectric, ferroelectric, piezoelectric, photovoltaic, photostrictive, and electrochemical materials.
- High Strain Piezoelectric Project:
Currently focuses on characterizing the physical and structural properties of high-strain piezo/ferroelectric single crystals such as Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)1-xTixO3 (PMNT) and Pb(Zn1/3Nb2/3)1-xTixO3 (PZNT) for applications in the next generation of electrochemical transducers. Exploring photo-induced strain (phototstriction) in PMNT crystals doped with tungsten and searching for lead-free high-strain single crystals in cooperation with crystal growers are also in our research interests.
- Piezoelectric and Conductive Polymers Project:
Patterned electrodes of conductive polymer are being placed on piezoelectric polymers to improve performance of bimorphs and actuators. The polymers are then tested, characterized and compared to the theoretical results that are also being established.
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Project:
Synthesis, processing, and electrical, electrochemical, microstructural, and compositional characterizations of solid oxide fuel cell materials and cells.
- Hydrogen Separation Membrane Project:
Synthesis, processing, characterizations, and testing of hydrogen separation membranes.
- High Strain Piezoelectric Project:
- “Temperature-dependent structures of proton-conducting Ba(Zr0.8-xCexY0.2)O2.9 ceramics by Raman scattering and x-ray diffraction,” C.-S. Tu, R. R. Chien, S. C. Lee, and C.-C. Huang, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 24, 155403 (6 pp.) (2012).
- “Photovoltaic phenomena in BiFeO3 multiferroic ceramics,” C.-M. Hung, C-S. Tu, W. D. Yen. L. S. Jou, M.-D. Jiang, and V. H. Schmidt, J. Appl. Phys. 111, 07D912 (2012).
- “Protonic and electronic conduction in proton conductive solid oxide fuel cells,” V. H. Schmidt and C.-L. Tsai, Invited Talk (given by Tsai), Proc. MRS Meeting, San Francisco, April 2011.
- “Dielectric permittivity and magnetoelectric coupling in multiferroic BiFeO3 and (Bi0.95La0.05FeO3 ceramics,” C.-S. Tu, Y. Ding, W.-C. Yang, T. H. Wang, R. R. Chien, V. H. Schmidt, Y. D. Yao, and K. T. Wu, IEEE Trans. on Magnetics 47, 3343-3346 (2011).
- “Fabrication, performance, and model for proton conductive solid oxide fuel cell,” C.-L. Tsai and V. H. Schmidt, J. Electrochem. Soc. 158, B885-B898 (2011).
- “Tortuosity in anode-supported proton conductive solid oxide fuel cell found from current flow rates and dusty-gas model,” C.-L. Tsai and V. H. Schmidt, J. Power Sources 196, 692-699 (2011).
- “Origins of dielectric response and conductivity in (Bi1-xNdx)FeOc multiferroic ceramics,” C.-S. Tu, W.-C. Yang, V. H. Schmidt, and R. R. Chien, J. Appl. Phys. 110, 114114 (2011).
- “Magnetoelectric coupling and phase transition in BiFeO3 and (BiFeO3)0.95(BaTiO3)0.05 ceramics,” T.-H. Wang, C.-S. Tu, H.-Y. Chen, Y. Ding, T. C. Lin, Y.-D. Yao, and V. H. Schmidt, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 044101 (2011).
- “Field-induced phase transitions in relaxor ferroelectrics,” V. H. Schmidt, R. R. Chien, and C.-S. Tu, Ferroelectrics 400, 402-409 (2010).
- “Phase coexistence and Mn-doping effect of lead-free ferroelectric (Na1/2Bi1/2)TiO3 crystals,” C.‑S. Tu, S.-H. Huang, C.-S. Ku, H.-Y. Lee, R. R. Chien, V. H. Schmidt, and H. Luo, Applied Physics Letters 96, 062903/1-3 (2010).
- “Effect of lithium fluoride on thermal stability of proton-conducting Ba(Zr0.8‑xCexY0.2)O2.9 ceramics,” C.-S. Tu, C.-C. Huang, S. C. Lee, R. R. Chien, V. H. Schmidt, and C.-L. Tsai, Solid State Ionics 181, 1654-1658 (2010).
- “Low temperature sintering of Ba(Zr0.8‑xCexY0.2)O3- using lithium fluoride additive,” C.-L. Tsai, M. Kopczyk, R. J. Smith, and V. H. Schmidt, Solid State Ionics 181, 1053-1060 (2010).
- “Synthesis and characterization of nano-sized proton-conducting Ba(Zr0.8-xCexY0.2)O2.9 ceramics,” R. R. Chien, C.-S. Tu, V. H. Schmidt, S.-C. Lee, and C.-C. Huang, Solid State Ionics 181, 1251‑1257 (2010).
- “Phase diagram of proton-conducting Ba(Zr0.8-xCexY0.2)O2.9 ceramics by in situ micro‑Raman scattering and x-ray diffraction,” C.-S. Tu, C.-C. Huang, S.-C. Lee, R. R. Chien, V. H. Schmidt, and J. Liang, Advances in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells VI. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, pp. 113-120 (2010).
- “Poling effect and piezoelectric response in high-strain ferroelectric 0.70Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3- 0.30PbTiO3 crystal,” H.-Y. Chen, C.-S. Tu, C.-M. Hung, R. R. Chien, V. H. Schmidt, C.‑S. Ku, and H.-Y. Lee, Journal of Applied Physics 108, 044101/1-6 (2010).
- “Glycine-nitrate synthesis and characterization of Ba(Zr0.8-xCexY0.2)O2.9,” R. R. Chien, V. H. Schmidt, S.-C. Lee, C.-C. Huang, and S. P. Tu, Advances in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells V. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, pp. 239-248 (2009).